The Institute & Christian Mission for the Adult Deaf & Dumb was founded in 1884, largely due to the efforts of Rev WJ Mayers of City Road Baptist Church, Bristol. The Institute opened its Mission on the site at number 4 King Square in 1912, but later in 1962, the Mission moved to new, purpose-built premises on the opposite side of King Square (number 16).